Friday, January 25, 2008

The Same Thing from a Different Perspective

This semester, as any frequent Mass go-er should have noticed, the chapel has been pretty full. This and my work schedule (until 12 everyday but Tuesday) has been the reason that I have been sitting in different places at daily Mass (although thanks to Fayth, that's not a problem anymore).

I looked out the window from the chairs to left of the altar (if you are standing in the middle aisle) so Father's right. The leaves were ugly brownish green. I was so upset. It seems funny to be upset by the color of leaves, but I was definitely disappointed that they weren't actually green. I guessed it meant I had been seeing things the way I wanted to see them, not as they really were. For a few days, I could not find anything green that was REALLY green; it was all blehish green.

Then Fayth saved me a seat where I normally sit. And they were green. The light shining on them made them shiny green. It made them look as though they were new. It wasn't just me after all.

To me, it seems very strange to take meaning from something like this. I feel silly, actually. But it was Light. We can allow the Light to shine on us and make us look (and feel) vibrant and green or we can hide in the shadows and not allow the Light to touch us. We'll become ugly and brown if we don't allow the light to shine on us. We'll be beaten and bitter. To us, sometimes the shadows seem more comfortable and more safe, but it's actually out in the open where we find Light.

Perhaps this is rambly and weird and strange. But to me it makes a kind of sense.

No comments: