Friday, February 23, 2007

What a Week

-or, "Some very fine whine, especially for Brian"


I'm sick of being sick. And doctors. And medicine. I hate taking medicine. Especially medicine that doesn't work. Or that I'm allergic to. Oh well. I think that I'll have been to the doctor's more times by the end of this week than I have been in the last couple of years. And I don't even think I was sick when I went. I was there for my scoliosis and for a physical the last times I went. I think one time was my junior year of highschool and the other was right before the beginning of the Fall semester. And I miss my mom. And I want a smoothie. But is that any surprise?


I wrote that this afternoon. It's now 8:08pm.


My phone conversation with the nurse:
Dr. Kerns wants you to come in because you had this reaction
I'm really am fine now; I took Benadryl and all of the symptoms went away
Well he still wants to see you. He won't write a new perscription for you if you don't come in.
I don't think I am going to need any more perscriptions; I feel much better than I've felt all week.
Well, Dr. Kerns still advises you to come in.

ABOUT FOUR HOURS LATER
Is there any particular reason Dr. Kerns wants to see me? Any pressing reason that I absolutely need to come in?
Well Dr. Kerns wants to look at your throat since you had mouth sores as a reaction. And respiratory problems are common when you have a reaction that bad.
Ok, I haven't had any trouble breathing and all of the symptoms are gone.
Dr Kerns would still like to see you.

SO I go to the clinic, which is an hour away. Wait in the waiting room for an hour, sit in the exam for twenty or thirty minutes, (and the nurse guy was creepy, too), then some doc (I think he was a doc, anyway, maybe not) comes in listens to me breathe and says:
"You're fine. You don't need any more prescriptions. Stop taking the codone. You'll still have a cough even after you finish the antibiotics."
-Yes, I know, I only came because he wanted me to.
"Yeah, I got his note."

He's lucky he didn't get my fist down his throat. Ok. That wouldn't have happened but, I'm pretty sure that I shot him a "you-have-got-be-kidding-me-you-just-wasted-four-and-half-hours-of-my-day-AND-Lauren's-day-so-that-you-could-tell-me-what-I-told-you-no-fewer-than-three-times-already-and-you're-charging-me-for-it?! and-if-looks-could-kill-you-would-be-at-least-severely-maimed" glance.

I was NOT happy at all.

No comments: